Hello friends! I have made my most loved (by me) version of poke bowl! I love eating this more, compared to sushi because nothing is falling out of it, LOL. And now I want to share how I would make poke bowls.
- For the yum yum sauce, I replace mayonaise with Vegenaise and butter with coconut oil.
- I only used hearts of palm and Vegenaise in this recipe. Tip, if you’re not adding all the other ingredients and are just using hearts of palm and the “mayo,” you may want to lower the amount of mayo you use 🙂
- Sushi Rice
- Cucumber (I used english)
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Sesame seed
- Seaweed Salad
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Panko Bread Crumbs (I used Kikkoman)
- Whole wheat flour
- Old Bay Seasoning
To watch the video version, Click here!
- Make as directed or your favorite way to make sushi rice.
- Once cooked, add your choice of seasoned or unseasoned rice vinegar. Salt and sugar to taste. I used the seasoned one.
- Mix well.
- Crumble nori into rice (optional). Set aside.
- Soak frozen edamame in warm water with salt. Once thaw, drain and set aside.
- Grate carrots.
- Slice cucumbers, tofu, and avocado into bite-size pieces. Set vegetables aside.
Breaded Tofu & Avocado
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- Put flour, flaxmeal, and breading into separate plates or bowls.
- Add double amount of water to flaxmeal, mix well, and set aside to thicken. We will be using this in replacement for egg whites. Feel free to use your choice of replacement, this is what I had on hand. 🙂
- Use your choice of seasoning for the panko bread crumbs. I used Old Bay.
- Once flaxmeal has thicken, start by covering the tofu/avocado with the flour, dip in the flaxmeal, then place in the bread crumbs. Cover it well.
- And repeat until all the avocado/tofu are done.
- You can do this for any vegetables of your choice too.
- Coat your baking dish with sesame oil or nonstick spray.
- Place avocado/tofu on dish evenly spread out, not overlapping.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 mins, or until bread crumbs are brown.
Once tofu and avocado are done baking, set everything out, fix yourself a bowl (or two) and there you have it!
CALIFORNIA POKE BOWL: Rice, avocado, cucumbers, and vegan crab meat
PHILADELPHIA POKE BOWL: Rice, cream cheese, vegan crab meat, cucumber
Top with sesame seeds, sauces, add more veggies and DEVOUR!
Try it out and let me know what you guys think, suggested, or do differently. I’ll love to hear.